5 Natural Ways to Get Rid of Ants!
This time of the year a lot of people have trouble with invading ants. I find the little sugar ants wandering around the kitchen looking for some crumbs. I know that if I don’t deal with it quick it can turn into a full on invasion. I hate to use chemicals near my kids and animals. So here are some natural ways I combat ants in my kitchen. Other than keeping it spotless at all times (Because with two kids, three cats and a dog in my kitchen it is always spotless….haha!) But seriously, keeping the kitchen clean from food is essential in getting rid of the ants. Plus, here are some other helpful tips:
- Mix sugar, water and borax together. Place in shallow trays in cabinets or on counters where you see the ants. You only need a small amount. I find recycled plastic lids make great little dishes for the bait. The ants eat the sugar and the borax kills them.
- Baking soda and powdered sugar in small dishes in areas where ants have been spotted. The ants carry the sugar to the nest and it kills them.
- Lemon juice or vinegar- Spray it where you notice the ants coming in. The ants use pheromones to lead a trail to the food source and back to the nest. The acid in the lemon juice or vinegar messes up the trail, so the ants don’t keep following it in.
- Cinnamon- you can sprinkle it in doorways or windows where the ants come in. The strong smell wards them off. You can also make a spray with cinnamon oil and water and use it to spray areas where you see ants.
- Chalk- Ants prefer not to walk through chalk or talcum powder. So you can draw a line in doorways and window frames to keep ants at bay.