My husband broke his toe. Again. He wears a size 15 shoe so I imagine with feet that big his toes just get stubbed a lot. So we have a natural regiment that now goes along with broken bones in our house. First things first, go see a doctor, have it xrayed and casted if needed. These remedies are meant to speed up the healing process, not replace a doctor’s medical care. Always check with your doctor before using any kind of herbal supplements, especially if taking prescriptions medication.
Stage 1: Reducing Pain and swelling-
- White willow bark for pain. Willow bark is what asprin is derived from. It is a natural pain reliever. You make your own tincture by soaking willow bark in vodka for 6 weeks and then straining out the bark. Or you can purchase a already made tincture.
- Sage, Oregano and cinnamon infusion for swelling. Sage , oregano and cinnamon are all natural anti inflammatory. This infusion is made by soaking 1 table spoon of each dried herb in boiling water. Put the herbs in a glass mason jar. cover with 4 cups boiling water and let it soak overnight. Drink 1 cup , 4 times per day to reduce swelling.
- Ice- Ice the area 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off for the first 24 – 48 hours to help reduce swelling.
After the first few days, the pain and swelling should begin to go down. Now it’s time to help the body heal itself.
Stage 2: The Healing Process
- Increase your calories slightly- It can take up to 6500 calories a day to heal a severely broken bone. Since you probably be less active, you will not burn as many calories from other activities so you don’t want to go overboard with the calorie intake. But a slight increase will give your body the fuel it needs to heal.
- Eat lean proteins, such as chicken and fish. The bone is living tissue and is made up of proteins. Your body will need extra protein when mending the broken bone tissues.
- Vitamins and Mineral- taking a mineral supplement of calcium, magnesium and zinc will give your body the mineral it needs to rebuild and strengthen the bone growth. Also you body will need vitamin K, C, B and D to help absorb the minerals.
- Antioxidants play an important roll is cell growth you can get antioxidants from food like berries and beans (super foods list) . Green tea is also a great source of antioxidants.
- Yarrow tea or yarrow supplement– Yarrow helps increase the blood circulation in the body. Your blood is the bodies carrier system, all these great nutrients you are ingesting need to get to the healing bone. By increasing the blood circulation you are getting more oxygen and nutrients to the healing area for the body to work with.
Stage 3: Strengthening the Bone
After the cast is removed by the doctor, the bone still needs time to regain strength, contiuing with the vitamin and mineral suppliments will help and applying a wild comfrey poultice will also aid in building bone strength.
Known for centuries as a priceless herb for wounds, sprains, bruises, and broken bones in both people and animals, comfrey (genus name, Symphytum – meaning to “unite or knit together,” leaves and roots can be used both fresh or dried. The name com-firma means, simply, “knitting of bones,” which is why comfrey is often called knitbone and healing herb.
Comfrey’s success as a healing agent is due to a special substance it contains called allantoin—a substance that speeds the production of new cells and aids in wound granulation (healing) – basically a cell proliferative. This means it makes cells grow faster, which is one of the reasons why comfrey-treated bones knit so fast, wounds mend quickly, and burns heal with such little to no scarring.
Allantoin is the same substance found in the placenta of a pregnant mother, which supports rapid baby growth and is also in the mother’s milk in abundance and then decreases as the child grows.
Comfrey is rich in vitamin B12, which is important to vegans and vegetarians, as very few plants have B12, and is also rich in vitamins B1, B2, C, E, A, pantothenic acid plus calcium, manganese and phosphorus.
Remember always check with your doctor before trying any of these suggestions.
Coupon- Use any of the links in this page and get $5 off your first order and 10% cash back. iherb.com
Also check out these great all natural remedies posts: