Herbal head pillows are small pillows filled with flax seed or rice and herbs. They are meant to be applied to the forehead, warm or cold to aid with different ailments, including headaches, anxiety and insomnia. The weight of the rice/flax seed adds a calming pressure to the head that can be soothing and relaxing.
The herbs you choose to put inside your pillow will depend on what you want to use it for. I made three different pillows. The first is for headache relief. I filled this one with peppermint. Peppermint is great for headache relief. For tension and sinus headaches it should be warmed in the microwave for about a 1 minute and then applied, but for migraines it works better if you chill it in the freezer for about 10 minutes before applying to the head. This one also works well for sinus congestion and stuffy noses. For cold relief it is better used warmed.
The second pillow I made is for anxiety and stress relief. I filled this one with lavender. the scent of lavender is great for relaxation and anti stress. This one works best when warmed for about 1 minute in the microwave before applying.
The third pillow is for sleep. I filled this one with chamomile and catnip. chamomile is very soothing and relaxing and catnip is a sedative. Again, this works great heated 1 minute in the microwave before use.
For an added boost you can also put a drop a two of essential oils on the head pillow before use. I like patchouli and lavender oil for the relaxation pillow. I usually use lavender, chamomile and ylang ylang for the sleep pillow and peppermint and eucalyptus for the headache pillow.But you can chooses the scents that work well for you.
To make the pillows you will need:
Small piece of cotton or fleece material (8 inches by 12 inches)
2-3 cups dry rice or flax seed
1/2 cup of your chosen herb dried and crushed.
Essential oil if desired
- Fold the material in half the long way so that the outside of the material is facing out.
- Sew two sides together , leaving one of the short sides open, so that it forms a bag.
- In a bowl mix your rice or flaxseed and herbs together until herbs are evenly dispersed throughout the mix.
- Turn the material sack right side out and fill with the herb mix. Some like their pillows floppier , so add less, or firm, add it all. Once you have it filled. Sew the other short side shut.
- Store in a cool, dry place until you are ready to use it.